turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I made an error in the amount of social security tax withheld and already e-filed what can I do?

I made an error on the amount of SS tax withheld?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I made an error in the amount of social security tax withheld and already e-filed what can I do?

You don't need to do anything.  The Social Security entries from your W-2 usually have no bearing on your income tax return.  If this error did in some way impact your return, the IRS will correct it and send your proper refund.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You don't need to do anything.  The Social Security entries from your W-2 usually have no bearing on your income tax return.  If this error did in some way impact your return, the IRS will correct it and send your proper refund.

i was going to file 1040X and amend the correct amount should i not do this and assume the IRS will correct it. Corrected amount changes my return by 400.00

The IRS will correct a math error on your return, if that's all it is.  If they don't correct it, then you can amend your return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies