turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jarvismpa

If I made a contribution to a traditional IRA in 2016 and this amount showed up on my W-2 in Box 12 coded "D", should this amount have been deducted from my Adjusted Gross Income if I included it in my TurboTax W-2 info when filing taxes?

I can't find the D coded amount in Box 12 having been deducted in my Adjusted Gross Income (it is not in my Itemized Deductions nor Exemptions) factoring in the calculation of my Taxable Income.  Please help me understand if this is an error, or, if the D coded amount from Box 12 is actually captured somewhere in the amount subtracted from my Adjusted Gross Income equating to the Taxable Income. Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If I made a contribution to a traditional IRA in 2016 and this amount showed up on my W-2 in Box 12 coded "D", should this amount have been deducted from my Adjusted Gross Income if I included it in my TurboTax W-2 info when filing taxes?

You cannot make an IRA contribution thru the payroll system at work ... what you have is a 401K contribution which is on the W-2 code D ... and since this has already been deducted from your taxable income you do not get to deduct it again. 

Now if you did make an IRA contribution outside of work then the deductible amount would be on the form 1040 line 32.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies