turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j_vsmith

If I'm moving funds from a 403(b) retirement account into a traditional Roth IRA before April 2017, is that considered a traditional IRA contribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If I'm moving funds from a 403(b) retirement account into a traditional Roth IRA before April 2017, is that considered a traditional IRA contribution?

No such thing as a traditional Roth IRA. You either have a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA. In order for your 403(b) retirement funds to be not taxable, you need to roll them into a Traditional IRA. 

A rollover is not a contribution. You would need to roll over the funds to a traditional IRA, then make a contribution after the rollover, to count as an IRA contribution.

See chart below.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No such thing as a traditional Roth IRA. You either have a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA. In order for your 403(b) retirement funds to be not taxable, you need to roll them into a Traditional IRA. 

A rollover is not a contribution. You would need to roll over the funds to a traditional IRA, then make a contribution after the rollover, to count as an IRA contribution.

See chart below.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf 

j_vsmith

OK, it's a traditional IRA. What I'm trying to determine is for tax purposes, when funds from a 403b are withdrawn and deposited into a traditional IRA, if that is considered a CONTRIBUTION. If not, what is it called / what do I indicate?
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you take a distribution and later open an IRA, then yes that would be a contribution to an IRA.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

But a trustee-to-trustee rollover of funds would not be a contribution.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies