jyoung509

If I contribute 0.00 to a employer retirement plan should I be getting a $200.00 credit?

MichaelDC

Yes. The $200 was a legitimate credit for making your IRA contribution.

The Saver’s Credit can be taken for your contributions to a traditional or Roth IRA; your 401(k), SIMPLE IRA, SARSEP, 403(b), 501(c)(18) or governmental 457(b) plan; and your voluntary after-tax employee contributions to your qualified retirement and 403(b) plans.

Depending on your adjusted gross income and filing status, you can claim the credit for 50%, 20% or 10% of the first $2,000 you contribute during the year to a retirement account. Therefore, the maximum credit amounts that can be claimed are $1,000, $400 or $200.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

MichaelDC

Did you also contribute to an IRA? Or did your spouse,  if any, contribute to either?
jyoung509

Yes - to my individual traditional ira.
MichaelDC

Great, thanks.
MichaelDC

user67947

When they ask me did I want the deluxe package, it wouldn't let me go back or do anything so it made me go forward and that's not fair