turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jyoung509

If I contribute 0.00 to a employer retirement plan should I be getting a $200.00 credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

If I contribute 0.00 to a employer retirement plan should I be getting a $200.00 credit?

Yes. The $200 was a legitimate credit for making your IRA contribution.

The Saver’s Credit can be taken for your contributions to a traditional or Roth IRA; your 401(k), SIMPLE IRA, SARSEP, 403(b), 501(c)(18) or governmental 457(b) plan; and your voluntary after-tax employee contributions to your qualified retirement and 403(b) plans.

Depending on your adjusted gross income and filing status, you can claim the credit for 50%, 20% or 10% of the first $2,000 you contribute during the year to a retirement account. Therefore, the maximum credit amounts that can be claimed are $1,000, $400 or $200.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichaelDC

Did you also contribute to an IRA? Or did your spouse,  if any, contribute to either?
jyoung509

Yes - to my individual traditional ira.
MichaelDC

Great, thanks.
MichaelDC

Yes. The $200 was a legitimate credit for making your IRA contribution.

The Saver’s Credit can be taken for your contributions to a traditional or Roth IRA; your 401(k), SIMPLE IRA, SARSEP, 403(b), 501(c)(18) or governmental 457(b) plan; and your voluntary after-tax employee contributions to your qualified retirement and 403(b) plans.

Depending on your adjusted gross income and filing status, you can claim the credit for 50%, 20% or 10% of the first $2,000 you contribute during the year to a retirement account. Therefore, the maximum credit amounts that can be claimed are $1,000, $400 or $200.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

user67947

When they ask me did I want the deluxe package, it wouldn't let me go back or do anything so it made me go forward and that's not fair
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies