Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was employed in a paid, part time position as chaplain for the company I retired from on Jan 1, 2018. Do I qualify for Religious employment if S.S. taxes were withheld?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I was employed in a paid, part time position as chaplain for the company I retired from on Jan 1, 2018. Do I qualify for Religious employment if S.S. taxes were withheld?

If you meet the definition of a minister for tax purposes, you will need to request a corrected W-2 as you would not be subject to FICA tax withholding.

According to the IRS:

Ministers defined.

Ministers are individuals who are duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed by a religious body constituting a church or church denomination. Ministers have the authority to conduct religious worship, perform sacerdotal functions, and administer ordinances or sacraments according to the prescribed tenets and practices of that church or denomination.

If a church or denomination ordains some ministers and licenses or commissions others, anyone licensed or commissioned must be able to perform substantially all the religious functions of an ordained minister to be treated as a minister for social security purposes.

Please see the following publication for more information regarding who is a minister for tax purposes.

Ministers are considered a common law employee for their church however they are subject to self-employment taxes (SECA) instead of FICA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies