Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brucesteg

I want to make sure my over payment of Social Security tax is calculated in my payment. When I initially put in $ the program told me call my employer and get a new W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I want to make sure my over payment of Social Security tax is calculated in my payment. When I initially put in $ the program told me call my employer and get a new W-2?

If overpayment of Social security tax occurs on a single W-2, then you do need to collect from the employer.  The excess cannot be on your return.  If the excess Social security is caused because you switched jobs and therefore have two  W2s on the return from two different employers, then it will appear on the return as part of your refund.  These are IRS regulations and cannot be done any differently in any tax return. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

If overpayment of Social security tax occurs on a single W-2, then you do need to collect from the employer.  The excess cannot be on your return.  If the excess Social security is caused because you switched jobs and therefore have two  W2s on the return from two different employers, then it will appear on the return as part of your refund.  These are IRS regulations and cannot be done any differently in any tax return. 

What if it's the same employer, but 2 different W2's? We moved states, so the company "fired" my husband and rehired him as a CO resident.  Do we still get the refund from the employer?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies