Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used the wrong federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099 for 2915 and 2016 tax returns.

No
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I used the wrong federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099 for 2915 and 2016 tax returns.

You can amend.

For 2016

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account, if you're not already signed in. 
  2. In the 2016 Tax Year section, click Amend (change) return. 
  • Note: If you see an orange Take me to my return button, you can't amend because you haven't filed yet. Just click or tap that button to open your return and make your changes.
  • In the pop-up, click Amend using TurboTax Online
  • Click Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  • Follow the on-screen directions to amend your return.
    • Don't worry if your refund drops to zero or does strange things while you are amending. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
  • When you're done, we'll provide instructions to print and mail your amended return because an amended return can't be e-filed.
  • For 2015

1. Then, sign in with the login you used for your 2015 return.
    2. Click or tap 2015 Tax Year in your Tax Timeline (you may need to first click or tap "Load my Timeline" in the lower-right corner).
    3. In the Some things you can do section, click or tap Amend (change) 2015 return.
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions in the How to amend your 2015 return popup window.
      • Need to amend on a Mac? Complete this online form to request the 2015 TurboTax Amendment software for the Mac in downloadable format.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
    Coleen3
    Intuit Alumni

You can amend.

For 2016

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account, if you're not already signed in. 
    2. In the 2016 Tax Year section, click Amend (change) return. 
    • Note: If you see an orange Take me to my return button, you can't amend because you haven't filed yet. Just click or tap that button to open your return and make your changes.
  • In the pop-up, click Amend using TurboTax Online
  • Click Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  • Follow the on-screen directions to amend your return.
    • Don't worry if your refund drops to zero or does strange things while you are amending. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
  • When you're done, we'll provide instructions to print and mail your amended return because an amended return can't be e-filed.
  • For 2015

1. Then, sign in with the login you used for your 2015 return.
    2. Click or tap 2015 Tax Year in your Tax Timeline (you may need to first click or tap "Load my Timeline" in the lower-right corner).
    3. In the Some things you can do section, click or tap Amend (change) 2015 return.
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions in the How to amend your 2015 return popup window.
      • Need to amend on a Mac? Complete this online form to request the 2015 TurboTax Amendment software for the Mac in downloadable format.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies