Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dxnibxni

I used some of the Pell grant money on entertainment expenses, should I report that as taxable income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I used some of the Pell grant money on entertainment expenses, should I report that as taxable income?

Possibly.  If your grants and scholarships are greater than your education expenses, then the grants and scholarships would become taxable income.  Basically, if box 5 of your 1098-T is greater than box 1 of your 1098-T, then you have taxable income.  If box 1 is more than box 5, then you do not have taxable income.  Your 1098-T box 5 should include your Pell Grant. 

If you paid your tuition with a student loan and then used the Pell Grant for entertainment purposes, that technically would not need to be reported as you using the Pell Grant for non education expenses.  The loan is considered yours to do what you want with (in a manner) since you have to pay it back.  The IRS treats it like any of your other income or money you use to pay your tuition.  

So yes and no, it is not about what you used THAT actual pot of cash for, it is more about did you get more grants and scholarships than you had in tuition and eligible education expenses.

Are scholarships taxable?

Tax Benefits for Education

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies