Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sstromsk

I took an IRA withdrawal to be place back in the IRA within 60 days to avoid a taxable event. Does IRA qualified funds to beplaced in the same IRA or just an IRA product?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I took an IRA withdrawal to be place back in the IRA within 60 days to avoid a taxable event. Does IRA qualified funds to beplaced in the same IRA or just an IRA product?

No you can put it in another IRA account.  It will be a rollover.  If they took any federal or state tax withholding out then be sure to replace it from your own money or the withholding will be a taxable distribution and a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty if you are under 59 1/2.  

Any IRA account.  For tax purposes, you are considered to have just one "individual retirement arrangement" no matter how many accounts you have at different banks or brokers.  

As said, remember that if there were taxes withheld, you still need to put the gross amount back, not the net amount.  If you put the gross amount back (by getting the extra cash from some other source) the withdrawal will be non-taxable and you will get the withholdings back as part of your tax refund.  If you put the net back, then the tax amount will count as a taxable withdrawal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies