• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbooksta
Level 2

I took a distribution from my traditional IRA to pay its management fee. How do I file to avoid the distribution tax?

I took a distribution from my traditional IRA to pay the account management/advisory fee.  Distributions for that purpose are not supposed to be taxed.

In TurboTax, how do I indicate this so that it is not considered a taxable distribution?

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

I took a distribution from my traditional IRA to pay its management fee. How do I file to avoid the distribution tax?

Unfortunately, this is a taxable distribution.  It's only nontaxable if the IRA custodian takes the fee for management of the IRA directly from the account and does not issue a Form 1099-R.  The fact that you received a Form 1099-R indicates that you yourself took a distribution to pay the fee outside of the IRA, and the fact that the money was used to pay a management fee is irrelevant to taxability of the distribution.

KarenM90
Level 11

Yes, dmertz is correct.  You can pay investment management fees or financial planning fees that are structured as a percentage of assets directly out of the account being managed.

It’s not considered a withdrawal from an IRA account when fees are paid this way. 

Generally, once the funds are distributed to you, they can be considered taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v