Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsteck

I removed excess Roth IRA from Vanguard for tax year 2023. Do I report the earnings next year if Vanguard will not be sending me a 1099-R for 2023?

Because Vanguard has already issued 2023 1099-R, I've been told they will not issue one to complete 2023 taxes. Do I report the earnings portion ($202.11) on 2024's return once Vanguard sends me the 1099-R?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I removed excess Roth IRA from Vanguard for tax year 2023. Do I report the earnings next year if Vanguard will not be sending me a 1099-R for 2023?

If you withdrew your 2023 excess contribution to your Roth IRA before the due date of the 2023 tax return (April 15, 2024), make sure that you also withdraw the related earnings.

On your 2023 tax return, you don't report the excess contribution as it's been withdrawn. The earnings have to be reported and taxed in 2023. 

If there is a loss, that loss isn't deductible.

When you receive the 2024 form 1099-R with code PJ in box 7 (in 2025) for this withdrawal, there's no further action needed.

@jsteck

[Edited 02/28/24 | 11:09AM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

a 2024 1099-R will trigger a notice from TurboTax that you have to amend your 2023 tax return.

That's why you want to report the positive earnings now on your original 2023 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies