Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved a 5498 for for a trustee to trustee transfer from the receiving firm. the sending firm did not issue a 1099r

i tried to get the receiving firm to fix.  they admitted it was a trustee to trustee transfer but said its too late to fix, now it looks like i made an excess contribution,  can i report to the irs the issue with documents showing where the assets came from before i start getting notices from the irs?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I recieved a 5498 for for a trustee to trustee transfer from the receiving firm. the sending firm did not issue a 1099r

You don't enter it under Deductions.  It is not a new contribution.  Did you already file?  You only enter a 1099R if you got one.  

TomD8
Level 15

A 1099-R is not issued for a trustee-to-trustee IRA transfer.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/1099r_exclusion_worksheet_4012.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
dmertz
Level 15

It's never too late for the IRA custodian to fix a tax form that they know to be erroneous such as the Form 5498 in this case.  The Form 5498 has a CORRECTED box for the IRA custodian to mark.  However, if they accepted the deposit as a contribution and disagree with making an error in recording it as a contribution, that would be a different matter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies