Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved a 1099-nec the end of 2020 for a job that started January 2021. How do I claim that on my taxes since I did not recieve all the money in 2020?

I earned only a small part for the end of December 2020, but the rest I did not earn until January/February 20201.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I recieved a 1099-nec the end of 2020 for a job that started January 2021. How do I claim that on my taxes since I did not recieve all the money in 2020?

You have to report the amount on the form as a part of your 2020 income. According to the IRS ruling, you have to report the form 1099-NEC as self-employment income. You'll have to pay self-employment tax on the wages, however you can deduct your job related expenses, which you cannot do with your W-2 wages. 

To report that income in TurboTax follow these steps:

1. Open or continue your return, if you're not already in it.
  2. Search for 1099-NEC and select the Jump-to link.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-NEC?  
  4. Enter the info from your form into the corresponding boxes.

You can learn more here:

How to File Taxes with IRS Form 1099-NEC

The above answer is not correct. You are only required to report income that you received during 2020, even if you had not completed the work. However, income that you did not receive until 2021 is 2021 income.

Be aware that the IRS follows what is called the “doctrine of constructive receipt“. Constructive receipt means that you received the money when it was available for you to spend, even if you did not actually spend it. For example, if the client wrote a check that was dated December 31 and placed it in your hand on December 31, then it is 2020 income, even if you did not deposit the check until 2021. However, if the check was dated December 31 and they put it in the mail, and you did not receive it until January, 2021, then it is 2021 income.  If the client uses an online payment system and you were authorized to draw payment in 2020, then it is 2020 income even if you did not draw it until 2021.

It is true, however, that if you do not report an amount that matches the 1099, the IRS may send a letter of inquiry. It sounds like you have a perfectly reasonable explanation, assuming that you can prove it with bank records or check stubs, and assuming that you are prepared to report the remaining amount on your 2021 tax return if that is when you receive the money.

To e-file, enter the 1099 as business income. Then, enter an amount of other business income not on a 1099 that is a negative number that offsets the money that you did not receive in 2020.

Or, if you want to print your return and file by mail, enter the 1099 using only the amount of money that you actually received. Attach a copy of the 1099 to your printed tax return along with a letter of explanation saying why you did not report all the income. Don’t attach other proof, save it in case the IRS asks you later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies