Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ejhayes11

I received a 1099R for cashing out a life insurance policy. I received $16,000 but paid $23000 in premiums. The premiums are not shown on the 1099R. How do I report them?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I received a 1099R for cashing out a life insurance policy. I received $16,000 but paid $23000 in premiums. The premiums are not shown on the 1099R. How do I report them?

If box 2b is marked, the insurance company is saying that they do not know the taxable amount nor the amount of premiums paid.  Simplest will be to just enter a zero in box 2a to tell TurboTax that the taxable amount is zero.

The IRS might end up questioning your determination that the taxable amount is zero.  If they do, you'll need to provide the IRS with documentation to support your assertion that the premiums paid totaled $23,000.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What is the amount listed in  Box 2a of the 1099-R?
dmertz
Level 15

And is box 2b Taxable amount not determined marked?
Any amount in box 5?
ejhayes11

No
dmertz
Level 15

If box 2b Taxable amount not determined is not marked and box 2a is zero or blank, the Form 1099-R is indicating that the distribution is nontaxable because the amount distributed is less than the premiums paid.  The Form 1099-R must still be reported even though usually an insurance company wouldn't even issue a Form 1099-R under these circumstances.
ejhayes11

Box 2b is marked. Thanks for your help.
dmertz
Level 15

If box 2b is marked, the insurance company is saying that they do not know the taxable amount nor the amount of premiums paid.  Simplest will be to just enter a zero in box 2a to tell TurboTax that the taxable amount is zero.

The IRS might end up questioning your determination that the taxable amount is zero.  If they do, you'll need to provide the IRS with documentation to support your assertion that the premiums paid totaled $23,000.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies