Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bcb

I have an IRA with a RMD obligation for 2018, however, RMD was paid 01/02/2019.A 1099R was not issued for 2018 by the the Bank. How should this be handled in 2018 return if at all?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have an IRA with a RMD obligation for 2018, however, RMD was paid 01/02/2019.A 1099R was not issued for 2018 by the the Bank. How should this be handled in 2018 return if at all?

I ran into the same thing.  The financial institution made a mistake and didn't pay out my yearly December distribution.  I called and the admitted it was a mistake and cut a check in January to cover it.

What I did is report the required 2018 RMD and my withdrawal as zero on IRS Form 5239 to report the under-withdrawal.  I then inserted a negative adjustment to cancel the missing RMD and added an explanation on that form stating the issue and requesting waiver of any penalty.  I will receive a 1099-R next January to report that distribution next April.

In TurboTax it seems to be a pain, but I find that if I go into the Retirement Income section about 1099-R and create one with $1 payment and say none of it went the $1 went towards RMD then "Continue"d through a bunch of screens and eventually got to the section on 5239.  By later deleting that fictitious 1099-R, it appears to leave the 5239. 

Using the Desktop version, one could go directly to Form 5239 and handle it without a fictitious 1099-R.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I ran into the same thing.  The financial institution made a mistake and didn't pay out my yearly December distribution.  I called and the admitted it was a mistake and cut a check in January to cover it.

What I did is report the required 2018 RMD and my withdrawal as zero on IRS Form 5239 to report the under-withdrawal.  I then inserted a negative adjustment to cancel the missing RMD and added an explanation on that form stating the issue and requesting waiver of any penalty.  I will receive a 1099-R next January to report that distribution next April.

In TurboTax it seems to be a pain, but I find that if I go into the Retirement Income section about 1099-R and create one with $1 payment and say none of it went the $1 went towards RMD then "Continue"d through a bunch of screens and eventually got to the section on 5239.  By later deleting that fictitious 1099-R, it appears to leave the 5239. 

Using the Desktop version, one could go directly to Form 5239 and handle it without a fictitious 1099-R.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies