turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taytay54

I need to set up a separate account for my spouse (to file married/separate). Also have a question about monies rolled over to an IRA.

I received a 1099 for monies rolled over directly to an IRA. It appears that amount was added to my income when entered into turbotax. Is that correct? Am Ientering wrong place?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I need to set up a separate account for my spouse (to file married/separate). Also have a question about monies rolled over to an IRA.

The only thing you would need to do to report the distribution that was rolled into an IRA is to enter your Form 1099-R and answer the follow-up questions.  If the account was rolled into a ‘like-kind’ IRA (401k to a Traditional IRA for example), then there would be no tax consequence.  It will still be reported on your Form 1040 on line 16a with the designation ROLLOVER beside it.  Any taxable amount will be shown on line 16b.

However, as you work through TurboTax, there are various screens of information that summarize your tax return.  One of these shows income items.  The distribution amount will be shown on that screen because the money was distributed from an account in your name.  That does not mean that it is taxable income.  You need to look at the actual tax return to make that determination. 

You also asked about starting a new account so that you can file your spouse’s return.  Take a look at the information below for instructions about how to do that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574

Note:  For tax years 2018 and beyond, the Form 1040 line number references above are incorrect.  Look instead at line 4 a-d.

[edited 3/10/2020 | 7:35 AM PST]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

The only thing you would need to do to report the distribution that was rolled into an IRA is to enter your Form 1099-R and answer the follow-up questions.  If the account was rolled into a ‘like-kind’ IRA (401k to a Traditional IRA for example), then there would be no tax consequence.  It will still be reported on your Form 1040 on line 16a with the designation ROLLOVER beside it.  Any taxable amount will be shown on line 16b.

However, as you work through TurboTax, there are various screens of information that summarize your tax return.  One of these shows income items.  The distribution amount will be shown on that screen because the money was distributed from an account in your name.  That does not mean that it is taxable income.  You need to look at the actual tax return to make that determination. 

You also asked about starting a new account so that you can file your spouse’s return.  Take a look at the information below for instructions about how to do that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574

Note:  For tax years 2018 and beyond, the Form 1040 line number references above are incorrect.  Look instead at line 4 a-d.

[edited 3/10/2020 | 7:35 AM PST]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies