turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rawhigham

I need to rollover 2 accounts : Roth 401k -> Roth IRA 401k -> Traditional IRA Can I make both of these changes within a tax year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I need to rollover 2 accounts : Roth 401k -> Roth IRA 401k -> Traditional IRA Can I make both of these changes within a tax year?

Yes.  They are independent of each other if your 401(k) plan permits.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
rawhigham

Also, how do I report these rollovers? If I change them to accounts with similar tax bases is there any tax liability? 

You will receive 1099-R form from the plan administrator to report.  If it is direst trustee-to-trustee rollover (as it should be) the 1099-R will have a code G on box 7.

Like kind rollovers [401(k) Roth to Roth IRA, and Traditional 401(k) to Traditional IRA  are tax free.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

The Form 1099-R reporting the direct rollover from the Roth 401(k) to the Roth IRA would have code H.  The one for the direct rollover of the traditional 401(k) to traditional IRA would have code G.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies