Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rwrturbo

I need help with a SEP IRA RMD??

We forgot to take the RMD on my wifes SEP IRA.  The deadline was April 1st 2017.  The RMD is $13.65.  Total of IRA is $451.90.  Would like to close account.  What would you suggest?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Since 2016 is your first year for which RMD was required, the deadline for taking 2016 RMD was April 1, 2017. Take it out as soon as possible. Since it is such a small amount, it may go unnoticed. Also, a distribution in excess of the RMD from one account may satisfy this account. The small amount may also justify taking the entire amount as a distribution this year or at least roll it over and consolidate it for easier record-keeping. You'll receive 1099-R next year and report it on 2017 tax return.  Just please be sure to take the RMD for 2017 also.

As to how the distribution be taxed... it will be reported and taxed as a regular distribution.  You will receive form 1099-R with the distribution, and TurboTax will ask how much was the RMD, since it may include both, 2016 and 2017 RMD amounts, you will be able to indicate that your RMD is taken in full... no special treatment applies here.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Since 2016 is your first year for which RMD was required, the deadline for taking 2016 RMD was April 1, 2017. Take it out as soon as possible. Since it is such a small amount, it may go unnoticed. Also, a distribution in excess of the RMD from one account may satisfy this account. The small amount may also justify taking the entire amount as a distribution this year or at least roll it over and consolidate it for easier record-keeping. You'll receive 1099-R next year and report it on 2017 tax return.  Just please be sure to take the RMD for 2017 also.

As to how the distribution be taxed... it will be reported and taxed as a regular distribution.  You will receive form 1099-R with the distribution, and TurboTax will ask how much was the RMD, since it may include both, 2016 and 2017 RMD amounts, you will be able to indicate that your RMD is taken in full... no special treatment applies here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies