turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made non-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA in 2018 for tax year 2017. Why does Turbotax not require me to file form 8606?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SamiaI
Employee Tax Expert

I made non-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA in 2018 for tax year 2017. Why does Turbotax not require me to file form 8606?

If you reported any nondeductible contributions, TurboTax automatically generates the Form 8606. 

If you didn't enter any contributions, please see the steps on where to enter:

To enter your 2017 IRA contribution, open your return, search for ira contributions inside your TurboTax program, and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results. We'll take you to the Traditional IRA and Roth IRA screen where you can start the IRA interview.

Please see the Turbotax faq below regarding where you can find Form 8606 and how to trigger the form in TurboTax:

Nevermind....  Turbotax does complete 8606, I was filing an amended return and it told me there were no changes, but there actually were went I printed the forms.....

Why does turbotax ask if there were nondeductible contributions prior to 2016?  Would not a better question be "are there any non-deductible contributions in 2017"?

I did not have non deductible contributions in 2016 or prior but did in 2017.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax asks for your nondeductible contributions prior to 2016 to be able to populate line 2 of your 2016 Form 8606.

Yeah I get that but the question during the interview is:
"Any Nondeductible Contributions to Michael's IRA?
Let us know if <name> made any and kept track of any non-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA from 2016 or prior years"

This is a very confusing way to ask the question.  I would propose a better way to ask the question is:
"Did <name> have any non deductible IRA contributions for 2017?"  Then ask about prior year contributions on a later screen.

This of course begs the question why ask about 2017 at all?  I already told Turbotax I made a contribution in 2017 and it determined it was non-deductible....
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies