liverslury

I made a nondeductible contribution of $5500 to IRA in 2018 & converted $5502 to Roth. But Form 8606, line 17 is filled with 0... shouldn't it be 5500?

macuser_22

Line 17 will not have a value if there are non-deductible contributions on line 1 or line 2.

The 8606 line 1 should have the 2018 non-deductible contributions but will only if them of entered in the IRA contribution section as non-deductible contributions.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

macuser_22

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

liverslury

Thank you - that was helpful! This article was also helpful: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3582070-backdoor-roth-ira-contribution">https://ttlc.intuit.com/qu...>