Solved: I'm over 72 and retired. I understand for 2020 I d...
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

I'm over 72 and retired. I understand for 2020 I do not have to complete my RMD for this year. True?

No tax penalty in 2020
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert Alumni

I'm over 72 and retired. I understand for 2020 I do not have to complete my RMD for this year. True?

According to the CARES Act (COVID-19 relief) RMDs required to be made or that begin in 2020 are waived. Calendar year 2020 is disregarded for distributions that are being made under the 5-year rule. Learn more about the the CARES Act here. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Expert Alumni

According to the CARES Act (COVID-19 relief) RMDs required to be made or that begin in 2020 are waived. Calendar year 2020 is disregarded for distributions that are being made under the 5-year rule. Learn more about the the CARES Act here. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 15

Correct.  The CARES act eliminated the 2020 RMD requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Highlighted
Level 1

Thank You. With market so far down, I would prefer not to have to withdraw, unless absolutely necessary. 

Privacy Settings