turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chazdawg

I'm being taxed twice on a ROTH IRA conversion. I made a contribution of $5500 with post tax dollars to an IRA, then I immediately converted it to a Roth. It's my understanding that I shouldn't be paying tax on this twice, however, my refund dropped $15

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm being taxed twice on a ROTH IRA conversion. I made a contribution of $5500 with post tax dollars to an IRA, then I immediately converted it to a Roth. It's my understanding that I shouldn't be paying tax on this twice, however, my refund dropped $15

Be sure that you first entered the non-deductible contribution in the IRA contributions section and you specified that it was non-deductible.   The go through the 1099-R interview so that the after-tax "basis" will be applied in the part of the interview after the 1099-R entries screen.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Be sure that you first entered the non-deductible contribution in the IRA contributions section and you specified that it was non-deductible.   The go through the 1099-R interview so that the after-tax "basis" will be applied in the part of the interview after the 1099-R entries screen.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Note:

This so-called “back-door Roth”  method ONLY works if you have NO OTHER Traditional IRA accounts.  If you do, then the non-deductible part must be spread over ALL accounts and cannot be withdrawn by itself.  Only if you started with NO Traditional IRA and ended up with a zero amount in ALL Traditional IRA accounts will this Roth conversion not be taxable.
chazdawg

Thanks...the issue was that I was never prompted to input the actual contribution to the IRA.  I added the 1099-R, but never inputted the contribution.  Once I did that...everything fixed itself.  And as you said, I have no more traditional IRA, just Roth.

So how do you do this?  I copied all 1099R info and I owe taxes twice.

I liquidated my traditional IRA, say $10000, got a check (and eventually a 1099R), put it in an existing ROTH IRA.  I paid taxes on it as installments later on during the year.  I then transfer $5000 of this taxed ROTH money into my checking account. 

i) Why is Turbotax saying I owe taxes on $15000 instead of $10000?  That means I pay taxes twice on 5000.

ii) Is it because Fidelity check-marked tax undetermined when it's should be no tax? If I put cash money into a Roth, I paid taxes on it.  If I got a check from another bank, they will provide me with a 1099R.  Fidelity should not be concerned with this as they know the check came from a traditional IRA and thus, the original bank will provide me with a 1099R -normal distribution. 

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

@guendjoh wrote:

So how do you do this?  I copied all 1099R info and I owe taxes twice.

I liquidated my traditional IRA, say $10000, got a check (and eventually a 1099R), put it in an existing ROTH IRA.  I paid taxes on it as installments later on during the year.  I then transfer $5000 of this taxed ROTH money into my checking account. 

i) Why is Turbotax saying I owe taxes on $15000 instead of $10000?  That means I pay taxes twice on 5000.

ii) Is it because Fidelity check-marked tax undetermined when it's should be no tax? If I put cash money into a Roth, I paid taxes on it.  If I got a check from another bank, they will provide me with a 1099R.  Fidelity should not be concerned with this as they know the check came from a traditional IRA and thus, the original bank will provide me with a 1099R -normal distribution. 

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

What you describe has noting to do with a "Backdoor Roth" whatsoever.    What you was an indirect Traditional IRA to Roth IRA *conversion* (assuming that you put the money into the Roth within 60 day of the distribution - otherwise it would be a prohibited Roth contribution).    You enter the 1099-R for the Traditional IRA distribution and answer the question  that the money was converted to a Roth IRA.  That 1099-R should have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked and  code 1, 2 or 7 on box 7 depending on your age.

The 1099-R for the Roth distribution can be subject to tax and penalty if any earnings were distributed before the 5 year waiting period was over, but assuming that no earnings were distributed then answer the follow up questions that the Roth money was from a prior conversion then  it will not be taxed.  That 1099-R should have a code J in box 7 if you are under age 59 1/2.

The follow up question come after the 1099-R summary screen.   Read them carefully - yiu did not make a Roth contribution so do not enter anything on that screen.

Thanks for your prompt response.  I understand about the back-door vs standard conversion.  I did roll it before the 60-days was up.  I read that the 5-year rule applies specifically to investment earnings. So if my ROTH account sits as cash right now does it exclude it from the 5-yr rule? Thanks again for your help.

@guendjoh wrote:

Thanks for your prompt response.  I understand about the back-door vs standard conversion.  I did roll it before the 60-days was up.  I read that the 5-year rule applies specifically to investment earnings. So if my ROTH account sits as cash right now does it exclude it from the 5-yr rule? Thanks again for your help.

As I said above:  "The 1099-R for the Roth distribution can be subject to tax and penalty if any earnings were distributed before the 5 year waiting period was over..."

In your case, since the amount distributed was less than the amount converted then there will be no tax.

Awesome. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies