synergy_58

I'm 100% disabled veteran; I'm now age 60. My VA is not counted as income, but is my disability SSA and my federal disability (FERS) retirement counted as income?

My wife and I file jointly. Since I started receiving disability, I have included both total amounts of my disability SSA and disability FERS on our returns, included in the total income. Have I been doing this correctly?   

CherylW

Yes you have.

SSA is reported on an SSA-1099, which is up to 85% taxable.  Turbo Tax figures that out for you,depending on your other income.

FERS is reported on a 1099-R, which is a retirement document.

CherylW

Yes you have.

synergy_58

Thanks! Good thing We've been using Turbo Tax to figure things out for us, makes life a whole lot easier!
CherylW

That's nice to hear, thank you!