turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm 100% disabled veteran; I'm now age 60. My VA is not counted as income, but is my disability SSA and my federal disability (FERS) retirement counted as income?

My wife and I file jointly. Since I started receiving disability, I have included both total amounts of my disability SSA and disability FERS on our returns, included in the total income. Have I been doing this correctly?   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm 100% disabled veteran; I'm now age 60. My VA is not counted as income, but is my disability SSA and my federal disability (FERS) retirement counted as income?

Yes you have.

SSA is reported on an SSA-1099, which is up to 85% taxable.  Turbo Tax figures that out for you,depending on your other income.

FERS is reported on a 1099-R, which is a retirement document.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes you have.

SSA is reported on an SSA-1099, which is up to 85% taxable.  Turbo Tax figures that out for you,depending on your other income.

FERS is reported on a 1099-R, which is a retirement document.

Thanks! Good thing We've been using Turbo Tax to figure things out for us, makes life a whole lot easier!

That's nice to hear, thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies