Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aurora-47

I live in SD and I get a pension from IA, Turbo Tax tells I should not have an amount in Pensions on IA return, how do I get past this error?

Non-resident of IA but get an IA pension, how do I show this on my IA return when turbo tax tells me I should not have a value for pensions/annuities when I am a non-resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in SD and I get a pension from IA, Turbo Tax tells I should not have an amount in Pensions on IA return, how do I get past this error?

TurboTax is correct and the Iowa pension or any other pension is only taxable to the state you are living in (if there is State income tax).

You only pay state income tax to the state where you live, not the state where you earned or qualified for the pension.

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

TurboTax is correct and the Iowa pension or any other pension is only taxable to the state you are living in (if there is State income tax).

You only pay state income tax to the state where you live, not the state where you earned or qualified for the pension.

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies