Solved: I have Social Security Income of $33,469 (line 5a)yet my taxable income is $28,449 (line 5b), why the difference?

I have Social Security Income of $33,469 (line 5a)yet my taxable income is $28,449 (line 5b), why the difference?

Only up to 85% of social security is included in taxable income. Line 5A is the full amount of your SS, line 5b is the taxable amount. 

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0