Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been paying taxes on my military pension for the past 3 years. I recently found out that I my pension is tax exempt. How do I file a 1040-X to get my money back?

I retired from the Army in 2020. I was then awarded 100% disability from the VA. According to IRS Publication 525, certain military pensions are tax exempt if you were later found to be disabled. I applied for exemption through the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), which is where I receive my pension, and was awarded tax exemption in July of this year (2024). Now I am trying to get the money I have paid in taxes back for the past 3 + years. I researched publication 525, and it appears that I can file Form 1040-X to get that money back for the years I paid taxes on my pension. While the IRS has instructions on filling out the form, it is a bit confusing, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with filling out a 1040-X? Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide. -Danny
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have been paying taxes on my military pension for the past 3 years. I recently found out that I my pension is tax exempt. How do I file a 1040-X to get my money back?

This is basically what I’m reading. I retired based off years of service then was awarded VA disability:

Retroactive VA disability determination

If you retire from the Army based on years of service and are later given a retroactive service-connected disability rating by the VA, your retirement pay is excluded from income up to the amount of the VA disability benefits you would have been entitled to receive. You can claim a refund on any taxes paid on the excludable amount by filling an amended return on Form 1040x for each previous year during the retroactive period (subject to statute of limitations).

You may exclude 100% of any severance benefit from your income if you receive a lump-sum disability severance payment and are later awarded VA disability benefits. However, any lump-sum readjustment or other non-disability severance payment you receive upon your release from active duty must be included in your income even if you are later given a retroactive disability rating by the VA.

When exactly did you start to receive VA disability benefits?  Was it just recently?

None of the VA disability benefits paid are taxable nor reported on a tax return.

When you receive VA disability benefits and a military pension during a tax year, only the military pension is taxable.

I started receiving disability pay after retirement. I know it is not taxable. However, the way the IRS publication 525 reads, once you are awarded disability, military pension should be tax exempt as well. DFAS changed my pension to tax exempt last month, I’m just trying to see if I can get all the taxes I paid over the past 3 years back. All they can do is tell me no, right? Lol

If you started receiving VA disability benefits when you retired in 2020, then your military pension payment were taxable starting in 2020 and all future tax years.

In Publication 525 there is a good example of when you can claim the pensions received for prior tax years as not taxable - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf#page=19

Example 19. You retired in 2017 and receive a pension based on your years of service.  On August 3, 2023, you receive a determination of service-connected disability retroactive to 2017. Generally, you could claim a refund for the taxes paid on your pension for 2020, 2021, and 2022. However, under the special limitation
period, you can also file a claim for 2019 as long as you file the claim by August 3, 2024. You can't file a claim for 2017 and 2018 because those tax years began more than 5 years before the determination.

Since you have been receiving VA disability benefits for the past three + tax years, 2020 thru 2023, your pension payments are taxable since they do not include any disability payments.  The pension is only based upon your years of service.

Also, I am a Viet Nam veteran but not a retiree.

Yeah, I don’t read it that way, and neither did DFAS when they awarded me tax exemption starting last month. I may not get the money back that I payed in taxes for my pension over the last 3 years, but the publication reads (ad-libbing  using my own words here) “if you retired based off years and were later awarded disability, your pension is entitled to tax exemption”. Both of those statements are true in my case so I’m going to pursue this until the IRS tells me no. Because, why not? 😉

Ok...Since you are going to pursue this with the IRS by amending the prior year tax returns, take note of the following statement in Publication 525 on page 19 under Retroactive VA determination

You must include with each Form 1040-X a copy of the official VA determination letter granting the retroactive benefit. The letter must show the amount withheld and the effective date of the benefit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies