Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

renchu-

I have a RMD + small pension. TT Pensions form preloads RMD with X; pension code is G. Seems I need to complete the general rule section?? Had both for a while

not sure how to answer the questions
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have a RMD + small pension. TT Pensions form preloads RMD with X; pension code is G. Seems I need to complete the general rule section?? Had both for a while

what are the questions that you don't know how to answer? (we can't see your screen).

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Please provide more details and clarification.

An RMD is not an account or a retirement benefit. It's money that you had to withdraw from a retirement account of some kind, usually an IRA. Did you take the RMD from a traditional IRA?

You should have received two 1099-R forms, one for the RMD and one for the pension. The 1099-R forms come from whoever paid the RMD and the pension to you. You have to enter each 1099-R separately in TurboTax. I'm not sure what you mean by the "TurboTax pensions form." Do you mean the screen where you enter a 1099-R?

Where exactly do you see the codes X and G? It's not clear what those codes are. Can you post screen shots? (Make sure there is no personal information in the screen shots. This is a public web site.) If you had the RMD and the pension last year, and you used TurboTax last year, TurboTax might have copied some of the 1099-R information from last year, including the codes. That could be what you are calling "preloaded." But you have to make sure that what you enter this year matches the forms that you received from the payers. You can change what was copied from last year if necessary.

The general rule would not apply to an RMD.

Do you have the actual 1099R forms?  We need to know the box numbers.  Like if box 7 is a code G that is for a direct rollover.  Your RMD and pension would not be a code G.  What box is the X  in?  If it is between boxes 7 & 8 that just means the RMD is from a IRA.   

If TT is asking if your pension is a RMD then say yes.  Anything your pension pays you is considered to be a RMD.  

renchu-

Thank you for your responses.  Problem solved. A box on the form in section 2, part D.  defaults to G (for general rule). But a tiny drop down can change it to use Federal amount. This is the correct answer. Just didn't see dropdown.

Thanks again

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@renchu- 

You would have gotten more helpful answers if your question had been clearer.

1. It now seems that you were asking about a state tax return. You didn't say that in your question. We all assumed you were talking about your federal tax return. We can't see your screen or your tax return. You have to put all of the important details in your question. And any time you are asking about a state tax return, you have to say what state it is. Every state has different forms and rules.

2. The tag below your question says you are using TurboTax Online, but you are apparently making entries in forms mode, which is not available in TurboTax Online. You should have correctly identified the product you are using.

3. When you have a question about a form, you have to clearly identify what form you are asking about. We all thought that "TT Pensions form" meant the federal Form 1099-R. If you are referring to a TurboTax worksheet, it's best to give the exact title of the worksheet.

renchu-

Absolutely true thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies