I have a return for a single ind. with taxable inc. of $39,120. Calculated income tax reported is $1,421. Federal rate sche. indicates tax of $4,547. Thoughts?

Upon further review, your comments above were "spot on".  My bad for thinking that I had a good grasp of the taxation of capital gains and qualified dividends at all income levels.  My apologies to the commenter above.

Probably Qualified Dividends and/or Capital Gains are being reported.  The tax tables would not be used.
IRS QDCG Worksheet - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2018.pdf#page=40