Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KATI16

I have 2 distribution forms from my NYSTRS. both are1099-R. different distribution code & need to be checked. the member code is 8 but the RET one is 7

Turbo tax is telling me that Box 7b ditribution code "7" is not appropriate based on the other code "8" entered in box 7a. please correct or remove the code
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have 2 distribution forms from my NYSTRS. both are1099-R. different distribution code & need to be checked. the member code is 8 but the RET one is 7

Are you entering each 1099R separately?  You have to.  After you enter one 1099R keep going through the followup questions several pages to the end before entering the other 1099R.   @dmertz  

KATI16

I will have to look.  One 1099-R is from MEM and the other 1099-R is from RET. 

I went to the end of filing and was doing the review page before submitting my return. It was flagged by Turbo Tax. 

Thanks 

dmertz
Level 15

I agree with VolvoGirl that it seems that the code 8 and the code 7 are associated with two different distributions.  The distribution being reported with code 8 would be associated with a return of excess contribution and the distribution being reported with code 7 would be an ordinary distribution.

KATI16

Thanks , I know what they are for I just dont understand why turubotax is asking me to look to check the distribution codes. 

it is saying that the codes dont match ?

"form 1099R ,box 7b distribution code "7"  is not appropriate based on the other code "8" entered in box 7a. please correct or remove this code,

I entered as 2 seperate distributions with the correct codes that were given to me on the form

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you have two 1099-R's with the same Payor ID, Name, etc. somehow they are coming through the program as one distribution with two codes in Box 7, causing you to get an error. 

I would advise deleting both 1099-R's, and re-entering them manually, possibly changing the Payor Name entry a bit if they are exactly the same. 

Because of the different codes on each 1099-R, you will answer the follow-up questions differently for each form. 

If you're in TurboTax Online, after deleting the 1099-R's, close the program, clear your Cache and Cookies, and return to re-enter them.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can Contact TurboTax Support for more help. 

@KATI16

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Somehow you've entered both codes on a single 1099-R form in TurboTax.  Delete that 1099-R from TurboTax, then enter each Form 1099-R separately, one with the single code 7 and another with the single code 8.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies