ttbob327

I had a cash distribution from a pension fund. Do I have to mail return with 1099-R forms to state(PA) or can I still e-file to the state?

I had a distribution from a pension fund. I rolled most of it into my 401K but did take some cash. I received 2 1099-R forms. For the cash distribution it was federal taxed but not state(PA) or local taxes. A 10% penalty was not taken out. I am 57. Will TurboTax account and take the 10% penalty? Also, TurboTax said to send the state the 1099-R forms, but then it was going to let me e-file the state return. Should I mail the state return with the 1099-R forms, or can I still e-file?  

DanielV01

It depends.  If the code in box 7 for the cashed out amount is a "1", then it means that your distribution is subject to 10% penalty and TurboTax will calculate that automatically unless a penalty exception applies (which it will ask you about).  If you see a code "2", however, it means that the amount is taxable but you will not have to pay a penalty.  

According to Pennsylvania, you are able to efile.  Here is an FAQ from the PA website that provides more information on where to send information they may be asking for:  

DanielV01

ttbob327

Thanks TurboTaxDanielV.
DanielV01

You're most welcome