turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I get a UK pension. I am now a US citizen. Can I deduct the contributions I paid into this pension from this income and can I deduct the contributions my employer paid

Thanks, Dave. But just to be completely clear, do you believe that the UK state pension, specifically, is excluded from needing to be reported on form 8833 due to the "pensions" exception you highlighted above, or is there still some ambiguity? Nick

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I get a UK pension. I am now a US citizen. Can I deduct the contributions I paid into this pension from this income and can I deduct the contributions my employer paid

it depends. Please read this Turbo Tax link written by LinaJ2020 that specifically addresses this issue. "Tax treaty-related matters are out of scope for our advice.  Generally, the UK pension is taxable to the US. You would not file the Form 8833.  However, you may need to consult another professional who is specialized in it for verification." I based my opinion on the language written in the IRS publication referenced in my original post. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cb114

If the total UK Government pension is under $10,000 do you even have to do the treaty add/minus thing?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the amount of income is not the issue. It is reporting the income that is required.  Once the income is reported, you want to  make any deductions allowed. You can read more here which states, "You are subject to tax on worldwide income from all sources and must report all taxable income and pay taxes according to the Internal Revenue Code." 

@cb114 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies