Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nfvnyc

I don't have a Box 14a on my 1099R, but cannot finish my taxes without filling it in. I have an amount in box 14, but TurboTax will not accept it and let me finish filing

I don't have a Box 14a on my 1099R, but cannot finish my taxes without filling it in. I have an amount in box 14, but TurboTax will not accept it and let me finish filing

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

14a is just the first state line for boxes 14,15,16.

So if there was a second state involved, they would call that 14b,15b,16b.

Thus, your box 14 might also be referred to as 14a.

Beyond that, some states require that the state distribution amount be filled in into box 16.....either on the main 1099-R page, or on a follow-up page that asks for the State distribution amount.

IF boxes 1 and 2a have the same value...enter that value into box 16.

IF box 2a has a somewhat lower value than box 1, but still a "non-zero" value that is greater than box 14, put that value into box 16.

IF box 2a is empty and marked "Undetermined" in box 2b, then you'd ( likely  use the box 1 value.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies