Solved: I do not recall having to file any information on my 401(k) in past tax reporting so why do I have to report it now?

I do not recall having to file any information on my 401(k) in past tax reporting so why do I have to report it now?

A 401K contribution is reported when the W-2 is entered.

Any withdrawals are reported on a 1099R.

Anything that happens with the 401K does not get reflected on your return. 

Do you have a 1099R for a distribution you took from the account in 2017?  

Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.