Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cannot find out if my Social Security benefit was reduced by using the Benefit worksheet for 1040 lines 6a and 6b?

I cannot get a direct answer to whether my Social Security benefit is reduced to 85%?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I cannot find out if my Social Security benefit was reduced by using the Benefit worksheet for 1040 lines 6a and 6b?

Benefits are not reduced on a tax return.  They may be taxable on a tax return depending on the other income that has been entered.

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0

The Social Security benefits received and reported on your Federal Tax Return, Form 1040, are on Line 6a.  The taxable amount of the benefits, if any, is reported on Line 6b.

You can view your Form 1040 plus Schedules 1, 2 and 3 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  The maximum amount of your social security income that can be taxed is 85%. TurboTax calculates this accurately once all of your taxable income has been included in your tax return.  

There are two key components for social security.  

1. It  could become taxable up to a maximum of 85% depending on your other taxable income.
  2. if half of your social security, combined with your other taxable income is below $25,000 for single ($32,000 for married, or $0 for married filing separate), then none of your social security would count as taxable income.  

@MiffedinOhio 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies