Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am unable to enter a distribution from a traditional IRA for first time home purchase. However I am given the option with Roth IRA distribution. Suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am unable to enter a distribution from a traditional IRA for first time home purchase. However I am given the option with Roth IRA distribution. Suggestions?

With the code of 1 in box 7 that indicates —Early distribution, no known exception (in most cases, under age 59½).  So you are liable for the 10% early withdrawal penalty unless you have an exception.  And your exception is a first time home purchase.

After entering your 1099-R there are multiple screens to complete. 

On the screen labeled Tell us if you moved the money through a rollover or conversion you must select I didn't roll over or convert this money

You should land on a screen labeled Did you use your IRA to pay for any of these expenses? and in the box First home purchase (up to $10,000) enter the amount of the IRA distribution you used for the purchase.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

When you entered your Form 1099-R in the TurboTax program did you indicate that this was an IRA by checking the box labeled IRA/SEP/SIMPLE?  And what is the code that was entered in box 7 of the 1099-R?

Hello! thanks for the quick response.

Box 7 is 1 and IRA/SEP/Simple is checked.

dmertz
Level 15

Using a traditional IRA distribution for a first-home purchase exempts the distribution (up to $10,000) from the early-distribution penalty but not from the income tax.  Click the Continue button on the page that lists the Forms 1099-R that you have entered and proceed to where TurboTax presents a page that asks about exceptions the the early distribution penalty.

Distributions from a Roth IRA are handled differently because under certain circumstances distributions used for a first-home purchase might also be exempt from income tax in addition to being exempt from the early-distribution penalty.

Thank you! This is solved. After multiple screens I finally got to one where I could enter the amount for the entire amount used.

With the code of 1 in box 7 that indicates —Early distribution, no known exception (in most cases, under age 59½).  So you are liable for the 10% early withdrawal penalty unless you have an exception.  And your exception is a first time home purchase.

After entering your 1099-R there are multiple screens to complete. 

On the screen labeled Tell us if you moved the money through a rollover or conversion you must select I didn't roll over or convert this money

You should land on a screen labeled Did you use your IRA to pay for any of these expenses? and in the box First home purchase (up to $10,000) enter the amount of the IRA distribution you used for the purchase.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies