Solved: I am showing that i owe north carolina over $2000 state tax, mostly based on my retirementn from the DOD. i am supposed to be exempt from state tax, on my retirement inc

jimmant60

I am showing that i owe north carolina over $2000 state tax, mostly based on my retirementn from the DOD. i am supposed to be exempt from state tax, on my retirement inc

SteamTrain

IT DEPENDS:

As long as you had 5 years of service credited before 12 Aug of 1989...then you would qualify for the "Bailey Settlement" .

The procedure is the same in TurboTax every year, so (perhaps) print this out for next year and file it.

____________________________________________________

Go back and edit the 1099-R form in the Federal section.

After you enter your 1099-R form, and "Continue" thru the pages that follow it...until you find the selections for:

1) "Bailey settlement...."....................<<<<you are selecting this one

2) "Faulkenbury settlement...."

3) "Railroad Ret-SS.........."

4) "None of the above"

You need to select the "Bailey Settlement..."

Your NC Distribution amount is the same a box 2a of the 1099-R form (or the calculated federally-taxable amount for box 2a, if 2a is empty)....... that $$ will be removed in the NC section depending on what selection you made above.

(Picture Below)

.....Far fewer retired Military/Fed/State employees can exempt their Pension $$ if they retired this year.  BUT...IF you were into your NC-State or Federal/Military pension system, 5 years as of 12 Aug 1989, you can choose the "Bailey Settlement..." and all of that particular 1099-R will be exempted from NC taxation...otherwise you will likely choose "None of the above"

So that 5-years employment by the Feds/Military, or NC-State Gov't-related plan, by 12 Aug 1989 is critical

.......if you weren't employed by the Gov't early enough to meet that deadline...then your Pension distribution is not exempt from NC taxation

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

IT DEPENDS:

2) "Faulkenbury settlement...."

3) "Railroad Ret-SS.........."

4) "None of the above"

(Picture Below)