kwiatfam

I am filing a joint return, but didn't get asked any questions about my spouse's income. Is social security income taxable?

AndreaC1

1. The SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is not taxable, so you do not need to enter that into your federal return. However, if they get regular Social Security benefits and Social Security Disability, that may be taxable. 

A handful of states use SSI for various tax calculations. Your state program will let you know if you need to enter the SSI.

NOTE: You can find more information in the IRS Publication here https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p907.pdf 

2. If they received a SSA-1099, you can use the steps here below to enter it.

Any SSA-1099 form, regardless of the suffix, gets entered the same way:

• Sign into your TurboTax account, see your Tax Timeline, and click the orange Take me to my return button
  • Using the Search box in the upper right corner of the screen, type SSA-1099 and then click on Jump to SSA-1099, which is the first item in the search results.
  • Select Yeslet's work on Social Security benefits and click Continue.
  • Check the first box, Form SSA-1099.
  • Enter the amounts for yourself and your jointly-filing spouse, if they received an SSA-1099 also.
  • SSA-1099s for your children and other dependents are not to be reported on your return. They should report it on their own return, but only if they're required to file a return for some other reason (this is uncommon).
  • Then click Continue.

TurboTax will automatically calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable.   

AndreaC1

• Check the first box, Form SSA-1099.
  • Then click Continue.