Solved: I am a partner in a firm and receive a K-1 and not a W-2. I have both 401-K (pre-tax deferral contributions) and 401-K profit sharing contribution. Where do I enter these

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a partner in a firm and receive a K-1 and not a W-2. I have both 401-K (pre-tax deferral contributions) and 401-K profit sharing contribution. Where do I enter these

in order for them to appear on Form 1040, Line 28
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I am a partner in a firm and receive a K-1 and not a W-2. I have both 401-K (pre-tax deferral contributions) and 401-K profit sharing contribution. Where do I enter these

For these to appear on line 28 of Form 1040, your Schedule K-1 must show with code R in box 13 the total amount of contributions made through the partnership and with code A in box 14 your Net Earnings (Loss) From Self-Employment.  In the follow-up to entering the box 13 code R amount, enter in the Payments to 401K (non-Roth plan) box the portion at was elective deferral and in the Employer Matching Contribution to 401K box the portion that was the profit-sharing contribution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Level 15

For these to appear on line 28 of Form 1040, your Schedule K-1 must show with code R in box 13 the total amount of contributions made through the partnership and with code A in box 14 your Net Earnings (Loss) From Self-Employment.  In the follow-up to entering the box 13 code R amount, enter in the Payments to 401K (non-Roth plan) box the portion at was elective deferral and in the Employer Matching Contribution to 401K box the portion that was the profit-sharing contribution.

View solution in original post

How do I make the entry in the TurboTax Business software? I do not recollect the software asking about 401k contributions when printing schedule K-1. Do I need to enter this manually  on the schedule k-1 form?
Level 15

I'm not familiar with TurboTax Business.  See if the following answer by TurboTaxAmandaR helps:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6506295">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6506295</a>

What if the K-1 codes are “other” and non specific? Then the amounts may be accurate but won’t match your K-1? I cannot get the program to pull in those contributions to line 28! Very frustrating!!
Level 15

If the retirement contributions are reported incorrectly on the K-1, contact the preparer of the K-1 to obtain a correction.  Otherwise, you can make entries directly in the Self-employed retirement section of TurboTax provided that your Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) shows with code A in box 14 the correct amount of net earnings from self-employment.

what if my K1 has traditional 401K, Safe Harbor 401K and Profit sharing contributions?  Where do I enter the safe harbor contributions?
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings