turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a disabled unemployable veteran. The Dept of Ed cancelled my student loan because I am 100% disabled and unemployable. Do I have to report the debt as income?

In October 2016 the VA determined, based on service connected injuries, that I am both 100% disabled and unemployable. The Dept. of Education subsequently cancelled my student loan and sent me a 1099-C. do I have to report the amount of the cancelled debt as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

I am a disabled unemployable veteran. The Dept of Ed cancelled my student loan because I am 100% disabled and unemployable. Do I have to report the debt as income?

First, thank you for your service.

Yes you do have to include it, but you may qualify to have it excluded from your income, in which case TurboTax will help you complete the Form 982 to exclude that income.

Certain qualified student loans are one of the exceptions that will allow you to exclude that income. 

You can find out more about the 1099-C, exclusions and how to enter it into TurboTax at the below FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300645

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

First, thank you for your service.

Yes you do have to include it, but you may qualify to have it excluded from your income, in which case TurboTax will help you complete the Form 982 to exclude that income.

Certain qualified student loans are one of the exceptions that will allow you to exclude that income. 

You can find out more about the 1099-C, exclusions and how to enter it into TurboTax at the below FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300645

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies