turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am 77. I contribute to a SEP IRA traditional. This year it penalized me because I'm over 70.5 and its not a ROTH IRA. My financial consultant says nothing has changed

I have contributed every year in the past based on a formula from my self employed earnings less expenses and though my earnings are much lower this year I should be able to contribute about $3500.  Turbo Tax is calculating a penalty vs a benefit.  What changed?  My investment banker says the tax laws around this didn't change.  I've always contributed to my Traditional SEP and have done it every year even though I'm 77.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I am 77. I contribute to a SEP IRA traditional. This year it penalized me because I'm over 70.5 and its not a ROTH IRA. My financial consultant says nothing has changed

Contributions can be made to a SEP-IRA after age 70 1/2 if you're still working, but you still have to take RMD's.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Then why is turbo tax assessing a penalty vs reducing tax burden?  I do take RMDs
TomD8
Level 15

Make sure you enter your SEP-IRA contributions in the correct section of TurboTax.  Enter 'sep ira contributions' in the search box in the upper right of the TT window to be taken to the correct area.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

SEP's are employer plans, not Traditional IRA's.    SEP contributions are entered in the schedule C section.  Nothing should be entered in the Traditional IRA contribution interview at all.

If you entered in the IRA contribution section then un-check the Traditional IRA box and [continue] to delete the improper contribution.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you!  That did it!
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Tom D8 is correct - You should still be able to take the deduction.

Please make sure your program is updated.  [In TurboTax, click Online (in black bar) > Check for Updates.]

Even if you get that error screen, Turbo Tax should still reflect the contribution on your return.  To check this:

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon at the top right of your screen. 
  2. In the Forms in My Return list, click 1040 Wks.
  3. Scroll down to Schedule 1, line 28You should see the amount of your contribution.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies