turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally did not understand that I was not supposed to use the Nonfiler option on IRS.gov. Now when I tried to efile, I get social security error. How do I e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I accidentally did not understand that I was not supposed to use the Nonfiler option on IRS.gov. Now when I tried to efile, I get social security error. How do I e-file?

If you put your information in as a non-filer, what the IRS received was a Form 1040 with the income of 0, and a refund of 0.  You need this information to prepare your amended tax return, which is how you will fix this.   

The amended tax return is the only way to resolve this, but you will have to mail in the amended return. You will need to start with a blank tax return - full of zeros - and walk all the way to the end including the reviews.   This requires either deleting all of your information except the Personal Info or starting over in a new account.    Tell TurboTax you wish to file this return by mail and generate a copy of the blank return for your records.   This sets up the first step necessary to amend your return. 

After this, you will need to log out and back in (if using the Online program), or close the program and open it back up.  Then select the option "I need to amend a return that has been filed and accepted."   Once the program indicates that it is amending the return, enter your actual tax data.    This will create the tax return in the proper format on Form 1040X for you to print and mail.   Keep in mind that you have until July 15, 2020, to timely file this return if you owe tax - and 3 years to file it if you are expecting a refund.

After you complete and ''FILE'' (by mail) the tax return, use the amendment instructions to file your actual tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC

this is a really poor solution, if not ridiculous.

Your other "Tax Experts" have given other solutions that make more sense and are much simpler.

Maybe you guys should conference on the right answer.

A glimmer of hope, perhaps, for those of us needing to contact the irs about this systematic error we've committed:

Private ruling requests can now be submitted electronically:

"

The IRS is allowing taxpayers to submit requests for private letter rulings and other legal advice electronically instead of on paper amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Under guidance released Thursday, the agency is also permitting the use of electronic signatures on the required documents. Revenue Procedure 2020-29 is the IRS’s latest attempt at easing correspondence with taxpayers, which has become more complicated because of Covid-19."

I'm gonna try it. Maybe if all of us did they would afford us some sort of recourse because they flat out are NOT touching any paper right.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report/private-ruling-requests-can-be-made-electronically-ir...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies