turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

masjaap

I am US born retired with pensions from the USA,FRANCE,HOLLAND:total 952$ per month/11424$ per year. I filed the FBAR. Do I as expat need to file US tax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I am US born retired with pensions from the USA,FRANCE,HOLLAND:total 952$ per month/11424$ per year. I filed the FBAR. Do I as expat need to file US tax form?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3290703

Just like most taxpayers in the United States are required to file U.S. tax returns and pay any taxes due by April 15, expats living and working in another country as a U.S. citizen are also required to file.

If you're living abroad, the rules for expat tax filing deadlines are a little different. Here's what you need to know:

• Most expats qualify for an automatic two-month filing extension. This means your 2018 tax return is due by June 15, 2019.
  • You must pay any taxes due by April 15, 2019, even if you're an expat filing your return by June 15, 2019.
  • If you don't pay the taxes due by April 15, 2019, the IRS will not assess a Failure to Pay Penalty provided you file and pay by June 15, 2019. You will, however, be charged interest on the unpaid amount.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3290703

Just like most taxpayers in the United States are required to file U.S. tax returns and pay any taxes due by April 15, expats living and working in another country as a U.S. citizen are also required to file.

If you're living abroad, the rules for expat tax filing deadlines are a little different. Here's what you need to know:

• Most expats qualify for an automatic two-month filing extension. This means your 2018 tax return is due by June 15, 2019.
  • You must pay any taxes due by April 15, 2019, even if you're an expat filing your return by June 15, 2019.
  • If you don't pay the taxes due by April 15, 2019, the IRS will not assess a Failure to Pay Penalty provided you file and pay by June 15, 2019. You will, however, be charged interest on the unpaid amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies