Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xudan301
Returning Member

How to report recharacterization of Roth IRA with a little gain (hence excess contribution) to traditional IRA and conversion back to Roth IRA?

I contributed $5500 to a Roth IRA in 2016. After a ETF transaction, which earned $83, I realized that I should do a backdoor Roth. I recharacterized the $5583 to a new traditional IRA account, then converted it back to Roth IRA. They all were done in 10 days. Now I received two 1099-R forms. Form one with Box1 $5583, Box2a $5583, Box7 02. Form two with Box1 $5583, Box2a 0, Box7 N.

In Desktop version of TurboTax, Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits > I'll Choose What to Work On > Retirement and Investments > Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions, should I input $5500 contribution to Roth IRA and conversion $5583 to traditional IRA, as well as $5583 contribution to traditional IRA and recharacterization to Roth IRA? Or input only once? Either way, the system will tell me that there’s $83 excess contribution to Roth that I should withdraw and pay the penalty for the gain. Does that mean I should withdraw $83 to my pocket, or set aside $83 back to traditional IRA? How to pay the penalty on the gain of that $83 part?

Another problem is when I input these 1099-R forms at Federal Taxes > Wages & Income > I'll Choose What to Work On > Retirement Plans and Social Security > IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), the federal refund amount dropped significantly. I think that’s all about after-tax money and shouldn’t have much influence on refund amount. Did I do anything wrong? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

How to report recharacterization of Roth IRA with a little gain (hence excess contribution) to traditional IRA and conversion back to Roth IRA?

"should I input $5500 contribution to Roth IRA and conversion $5583 to traditional IRA"

No, you recharacterized only $5,500 (resulting in $5,583 being transferred).  Indicate that you contributed $5,500 to a Roth IRA, then "switched or recharacterized" $5,500 to a traditional IRA.  Enter no other traditional or Roth IRA contributions under Deductions & Credits.

Enter both Forms 1099-R as received.  For the code 2 Form 1099-R, indicate that you converted the entire $5,583 to Roth.

There is no penalty (unless you are ineligible to make a $5,500 traditional IRA contribution).

xudan301
Returning Member

Thanks dmertz for helping. The thing is the transaction history of my Vanguard account shows the amount of recharacterization from Roth to Traditional is $5583. Would it be a problem if I only report $5500 to IRS for this transaction?
dmertz
Level 15

You recharacterized only $5,500.  The amount transferred was $5,583.  The transaction history is reporting the amount transferred, not the amount recharacterized.  On the explanation statement that must be included with your tax return you will indicate that you recharacterized $5,500 and in addition to the $5,500 being transferred, an associated $83 of earnings were transferred.
xudan301
Returning Member

Dmertz, that makes sense and it worked. Thank you so much!

Could you be kind enough to help on another issue I have? The link is here:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3530550-how-do-i-report-non-deductible-ira-contribution?jump_to=co...>
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar situation where I had contributed $1000 to my Roth IRA in 2018. Since I found out that I was ineligible because of income limits, I recharacterized to a traditional IRA in 2019. I transferred $993 because there was a loss of $7. When I enter these details in TurboTax, in my form 5329, it shows Excess contributions for 2018 as the $7. But this was a loss in the Roth IRA, not a contribution.

What should I enter as the actual amount transferred? Should it be $1000, or $993 and accept that $7 was an Excess contribution for 2018?

Thank you!
dmertz
Level 15

abhinandkr, you recharacterized $1,000, not $993.  $993 was the adjusted amount *transferred*, not the amount recharacterized.  Enter $1,000 as the amount recharacterized.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer, @dmertz. That is correct, but whatever I answer to the question:

*How much of the $1000 that you contributed to your Roth IRA did you switch, or "recharacterize," to your Traditional IRA.*

will appear under the following note:

*The Amount Transferred (Recharacterization plus earnings or losses):*

So, should I enter $993 or $1000?

<My apologies for going into such specifics.>

dmertz
Level 15

Enter $1,000 as the amount recharacterized.  In your explanation statement indicate that as a result of recharacterizing $1,000, a loss-adjusted amount of $993 was transferred to the traditional IRA.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, @dmertz !
ericrongo

This is great info, thanks for sharing.

Does the conversion itself also need to be part of the attached statement?

What about a previous rollover?  I moved my Roth IRA to a different custodian before I realized I had to recharacterize :(

dmertz
Level 15

The explanation statement is only to explain the recharacterization.  Roth conversions are self-explanatory, reported on Form 8606 Part II.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies