Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file Early Retirement Withdrawal?

Ok. So I quit my job of two years in May 2019 and my 401k account automatically rolled over into another account after 60 days (I think). But in August I withdrew from the new account and paid 35% in taxes. I've put in the info from my 1099-R form I've received because my 401k rolled over. I wanted to report I withdrew from the account early. But when I go into the "Other tax situations" tab and tap " Extra tax on early retirement withdrawals", it says " There's no extra tax to pay because you took no withdrawals from a retirement account before retirement age." And I am confused on what to do next. I want to make sure that I report that I've withdrew from the account early and that I've paid taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Did you receive a Form 1099-R for the withdrawal you made in 2019?  If so, what is the code entered in box 7 of the form?

dmertz
Level 15

The distribution that you received from the account to which the 401(k) was rolled over must be separately reported on your tax return.  For that distribution, near the end of January you'll receive a separate Form 1099-R that you'll need to enter.  If you don't receive that form by early February, contact the custodian of that account (presumably an IRA).

I've received a 1099-R and the code was G. If I'm correct, it means that my 401k account was rolled over into another account. 

dmertz
Level 15

Right.  You'll also be receiving a Form 1099-R for the distribution from the IRA and you must enter that form into TurboTax.  Presumably that form will have code 1 in box 7 indicating an early-distribution.

Ah, I see. So I should be receiving a second 1099-R, with code 1 in box 7 soon. Great! Thanks guys ❤

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies