Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How much is tax if I start an Individual 401(k) Plan? There is no earnings/income for this year 2021. thanks

spouse has a job and income though.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How much is tax if I start an Individual 401(k) Plan? There is no earnings/income for this year 2021. thanks

If you do not have any earned income from self-employment then you cannot contribute to a one-participant 401(k) plan

To start a solo 401(k), you must be self-employed and filing a schedule C, and your maximum contributions can't exceed your net business income. (Plus many other rules.)

If you are married and file a joint return, you can contribute into an IRA in your name from your spouse's earning, the IRA contribution limit is $6000.  Whether you get a tax deduction for that contribution depends on your total income (you plus your wife) and whether your wife is covered by a retirement plan at work.  See this page.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/2021-ira-deduction-limits-effect-of-modified-agi-on-deduction-i...

You may also be eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA.

Remember that even though a 401(k) and other workplace qualified plans are similar to IRAs, they are controlled by different sections of the tax code and some of their rules are very different. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies