Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dave249

How does the IRS determine your voluntary tax withholdings reported on your SSA-1099 form? Do they receive information from Social Security ?

The IRS has suspended my refund because they claim they have no information other than what I reported on my tax return. I assume Social Security must send SSA-1099  info to the IRS.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

How does the IRS determine your voluntary tax withholdings reported on your SSA-1099 form? Do they receive information from Social Security ?

If you tell SSA to withhold taxes, they will.   Generally, no tax is withheld from your SS payments.    Yes, the IRS gets copies of SSA-1099 forms.   Did you include your SSA-1099 form, or what income did you report on your tax return, as you were expecting a refund?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you enter the SSA-1099 into your tax return? It should show up on 1040 line 6a and any taxable amount on 6b.  And the withholding on line 25b.   Did it show up on the wrong line?  

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

Did you claim SSA withholding that did not happen?

according to your post, that's what IRS is saying 

@Dave249 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

On your form SSA-1099, in box 6, is there an amount?

This would be the amount of tax withholding that the SSA was supposed to withhold and send to the IRS.

If box 6 is blank, then I see why the IRS is concerned. However, it can happen that the SSA failed to send the withholding.

I assume that the IRS is asking for a photocopy of your SSA-1099, right?

This will start a protocol at the IRS to check that (1) you had reason to think there was withholding by the SSA, and (2) now the IRS can compare the copy of the SSA-1099 that the SSA sent you to the copy that the SSA sent the IRS.

So if the IRS is asking for a copy of the SSA-1099, just do it or whatever the IRS asks.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies