Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I see the effect on my return with an additional IRA contribution after I have filed the return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I see the effect on my return with an additional IRA contribution after I have filed the return?

Go back into the file.

You may have to click on "Add a State" which you will click just to get back into the file.

Then you can go to Federal Taxes

Deductions and Credits

I'll chose what I work on

Scroll down to Retirements, and enter a Traditional IRA and you will see the impact.

Then remove it as return needs to be what is was when filed.

You can then decide to do the Traditional IRA and it must be paid by 4-15-2019 and be designated as 2018 tax year.

You will then Amend the return if you want to do the IRA for 2018 tax year, which cannot be Amended until March 7th.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Go back into the file.

You may have to click on "Add a State" which you will click just to get back into the file.

Then you can go to Federal Taxes

Deductions and Credits

I'll chose what I work on

Scroll down to Retirements, and enter a Traditional IRA and you will see the impact.

Then remove it as return needs to be what is was when filed.

You can then decide to do the Traditional IRA and it must be paid by 4-15-2019 and be designated as 2018 tax year.

You will then Amend the return if you want to do the IRA for 2018 tax year, which cannot be Amended until March 7th.

TurboTax wouldn't allow me to open my file directly from these steps, but I was able to see my file better than any other method I tried. Once I could see my file, I clicked on a bookmark I had saved which allowed me to enter my file. Then I was able to manipulate the numbers.

Sorry my way did not work.--Just be careful to make sure the IRA is entered as a Traditional and for year 2018, and you are in great shape.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies