turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report an UTMA withdrawal as a 27 year old? What can I expect to pay in terms of taxes on a withdrawal?

I'm 27 and just found out I have an UTMA account that was established in my name. I'd like to make a withdrawal but don't know if: a) the withdrawal will be taxed, b) what the tax rate would be, c) if there are any restrictions about what I'm allowed to spend the money on, and d) how to report this on my tax statements. Any advice?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RichardG

How do I report an UTMA withdrawal as a 27 year old? What can I expect to pay in terms of taxes on a withdrawal?

As a general rule, distributions from a UTMA account are not taxable income to the beneficiary.  However, you may be responsible for the taxes on the account's income, whether you withdraw the funds or not.  The custodian of the account can give you an estimate of the income earned by the account.  The tax rate will be based on your income and depend on the nature of the income (ordinary income or capital gain).

As for the restrictions, that 's a legal question that we're not authorized to answer.  You may find the answer to your question by following this link.  https://www.oppenheimerfunds.com/investors/article/ugma-utma-accounts

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies